Sunday 28 October 2007

West Country sorted


It's alright if you live conveniently in south London or Kent, getting to and from these midweek away games is difficult, but possible. If you drive, it's that bit easier still. But if you live in Essex and don't drive, then the midweek away games are a definite challenge. Not for the first time this season I've spent a lot of the day checking out the possibilities for the game against Bristol City on Tuesday week.


The first away game this season in the cup at Swindon, presented a similar challenge and I resolved this by staying in a Travel Lodge. On that occasion my girlfriend was over from Canada and I treated her to a night out at the County Ground. It all worked well, got there by train, saw us win, and came back the following day. I spoil her.


But the fundamental problem is that there is no way home on the night of the game. The train home after the Bristol City game gets back to Paddington at 12.30am which means that I can't get a connection across London to Essex. The coaches will drop off in south London with no way of getting home from there either.


So yesterday I considered the options. All of which mean staying overnight somewhere. Having checked out the hotels in the Bristol area it looked like it was going to be an expensive away day. But assuming I can get back to Bristol Temple Meads station by 10.30, I can get that last train to Paddington and have now booked a hotel room in Paddington. This at least means I can get in to work at a reasonable time and not take too much time off work.


Does anybody know the best and quickest way to get to and from Temple Meads? It's my first time in Bristol!


Up The Addicks!


Robin

No comments: