Sunday 23 September 2007

Charlton 2 Leicester 0

Picked up my duplicate season ticket, bought Hull tickets, had a couple of pints in the Horse and Groom. Personally I'm not sure that women's international football should have had priority over a game between our competitors, but that's what was being shown. To be fair they had a sign outside declaring: Here the England Lionesses roar. I looked inside but the lionesses weren't in there, so I assume they meant 'Hear' the England Lionesses roar.

Walked up to the ground, just past The Oak there was a rather unpleasant incident. At first all I could see was a Charlton fan chasing a bloke, calling him 'Millwall scum'. Getting closer to the incident it seems that a car with Millwall stickers had knocked a young Charlton fan down. An ambulance had been called and the police were on the scene. There were accusations that the driver - the bloke I had seen being chased away -had been driving erratically. Something that wasn't necessarily football related was regarded as such by many people around the incident. I didn't see it so can't comment, but I did wonder what would happen if I was driving so close to the New Den through hordes of Millwall supporters ten minutes before kick off.

We sit in different stands, but in the East Stand there was mobile beer! A bloke was wandering around with a backpack full of bottles of Fosters. At £3 for a 330ml bottle, it's a bit steep, but for the first time in memory I managed to get a beer at half time!

And what an enjoyable half time it was. Carrying on the good form from Tuesday we had a deserved two goal lead. I thought Leicester were better opposition than Norwich and posed us more of a challenge, but we still looked the better side. There's a long way to go, and I'm sure there will be better teams to play, but considering Pardew has brought in a whole new squad, he must be given credit for getting them to gel so well.

Just a quick word about the journey home. We got the bus to North Greenwich, tube to West Ham and were all home well before 6.00pm. I reckon that has to be as quick as most people get back to Kent. And probably cheaper.

Up The Addicks!

Robin

No comments: