Wednesday 19 September 2007

Charlton 2 Norwich 0

You can have a small crisis, and you can have a big crisis. Yesterday I had a big one. In actual fact it started the night before.

I should explain that my brother is on holiday in Egypt and entrusted me with his season ticket. He wanted it to go to a good home for the Norwich and Leicester games. I dutifully promised it to a relative who doesn't get to so many games now. So everything was set.

Unfortunately on Monday night, the two season tickets that I had been eying on the coffee table for the past week turned out to be my seaon ticket, and my last season's ticket. So at midnight on Monday I began searching the house looking for my brother's ticket. At 2.30am I gave up and it still wasn't found. Not wanting to let anybody down I spent Tuesday contacting the club to see what my options were. It seems you can buy a duplicate match day ticket and if the season ticket turns up within five days they will refund the match day ticket - less an admin fee.

To cut a long story short, the relative couldn't make it in the end, so I didn't need to get a match ticket. But the problem remains. I still haven't found my brother's season ticket. Guess what I'm doing between now and Saturday.

Because I got to the ground early I picked up some Coventry tickets for friends, collected some Luton tickets from Fiddler in the Con Club, had a pint in the Hope and Anchor. The H&A was a bit crowded so I met friends and family in the newly refurbished Horse and Groom. It seems this pub has now sacrificed the furniture for some TV screens. Perhaps the new management couldn't afford both.

The game itself saw Charlton playing some of the best football seen at The Valley for a long time. Norwich barely got out of their own half for the first 30 minutes. But we hadn't scored and had to rely on a superb save from Weaver to keep it 0-0. The second half saw Norwich make more of a contest of it, but we were still the classier side. It's a pity that it came down to two penalties in the last few minutes but nobody could say we didn't deserve it. But best of all was that our bet on a Charlton win and Reid to score the first goal came in at 7-1.

During the game I got a text from Grace a young girl from Chingford that rarely gets to Charlton games, but managed it last night as her stepdad supports Norwich. It's a shame we didn't meet up before the game, but we've vowed to get her down for more games this season.

Right now I'm off to look for that season ticket. Anyone seen it?

Up The Addicks!

Robin

No comments: