Thursday 22 November 2007

Qualification or 3 points?

The thing about watching England - even from afar, here in Canada - is that it's not that different to watching Charlton. Always flattering to deceive. 2-0 down early on, then pull it back to 2-2, just like at Colchester. But last night England were outclassed and blew their chances, conceding a late winner to Croatia.


It was a big disappointment, and it will hit home in the summer when we have to watch the Euro Championship without England taking part. But I've often played it over in my mind: would I rather have England succeed in a major tournament, or have Charlton get three point on Saturday - this week at Preston? Consistently I come up with the same answer. It's Charlton every time.


I understand the arguments how England's success is good for all levels of the game, with crowds at domestic games soaring and interest heightened. If England were to win a major tournament that would be brilliant, of course. But for me it's always Charlton's fortunes that come first. I've spoken to others that actually go to games and they all say the same. It's their own club that is more important than England. Maybe it's because we can get to see our own club live rather than on the telly. We feel we belong. It's more regular. Whatever. It's always Charlton that comes first.


And this week it's going to take considerably longer to get to the game. My flight leaves Canada at quarter to six local time, arriving at Heathrow at ten past seven on Saturday morning. Plans have now changed at this point. Originally Matt was meant to pick me up drop my bag at home and then off up to Preston. But Matt's car has broken down and he's not going any more. So a call to the Old Man and hopefully we can stick to the same schedule. He'll drive around from Essex and pick me up. I won't now be staying over in Blackpool, but the priority is to go to every game this season. This'll keep the run going. Any delays to the flight - and snow is forecast - and it'll have to be straight up to Preston though. Fingers crossed.


Preston is a new ground for me and the Old Man - the 104th ground for the Old Man! A bit like The Valley, it's a rebuild on the original site. It's always interesting to see whether the renovations have more character than the new builds. Not sure we'll have time to take in the museum, but looking forward to it anyway. Just need to get my head down somewhere en route.


Definitely looking forward to it more than the England game though.


Up The Addicks!


Robin

No comments: